- Score 50 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).
- Must contract into a valid critical skill vacancy for either a 6 year or an 8 year service period.
- OCS Candidates must have 90+ semester credits and enlist for a minimum 6 year service period to eligible.
- Non-Prior Service applicants must be fully qualified in their duty position prior to payment.
Current Army National Guard
- Prior Service applicants must enlist DMOSQ in a valid critical skill vacancy for 6 years to be eligible.
- Must be E-7 or below and have less than 16 years TIS at contract start date.
- Must not previously received SLRP in his or her military career.
- Must have received an Honorable discharge or release at the conclusion of all periods of military service.
- OCS Candidates must have at least 90 semester credits to eligible for the SLRP.
General Eligibility Criteria
- Must be E-7 or below and must have less than 16 years TIS at contract start date.
- Soldiers must reenlist/extend within 365-1 days prior to ETS for a minimum term of 6 years.
- Soldiers must be DMOSQ in a MOS that matches the military grade commensurate with the position for which reenlisting/extending.
- Any period of extension of less than 6 years will terminate SLRP eligibility.
- The applicant or Soldier must have one or more qualifying, disbursed loans in his/her own name at the time of enlistment/reenlistment/extension.
- The maximum annual payment is 15 percent of the eligible principle(s) or $500.00, whichever is greater, plus the amount of any eligible interest that has accrued.
- Payments are capped at $7500.00 annually.
- Loans disbursed after the date of enlistment/reenlistment/extension are not eligible for repayment unless the Soldier is reenlisting/extending for a period of not less than 6 years in the Army National Guard without a break in service from the original SLRP contract start date.
- Enlisted Soldiers receiving SLRP will remain eligible while attending Officer Candidate School (OCS) or Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) or after contracting into the ROTC/SMP programs.
- Soldiers can also remain eligible upon commissioning or appointment, subject to the original restriction that their loan will be paid within the same period established in their original enlistment documents.
- The applicant or Soldier must have one or more qualifying and disbursed Title IV Federal loan(s) not in default at the time of enlistment or reenlistment/extension.
- The loan(s) must be listed on the Department of Education National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Aid Summary website at www.nslds.ed.gov/npas.
- Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan[s]) are eligible for repayment as long as the applicant is the borrower and the loan(s) are in the applicant's name.
- State and private loans are not eligible for repayment under the SLRP program.
Chaplain Loan Repayment - up to $80,000
The Army National Guard Chaplain Loan Repayment Program (CLRP) is offered for the purpose of maintaining adequate numbers of qualified chaplains within the National Guard. The maximum amount of the CLRP is limited to $80,000 ($20K for each 3-year period of obligation) and covers the loan’s principle, interest, and related expenses. The maximum annual payment made to eligible participants under the CLRP may not exceed $6,666 for each year of the incentive term.
- Currently hold, and be fully qualified for, an appointment as a Chaplain in the Army National Guard.
- The Chaplain must agree to a minimum 3-year term of service.
- Must possess outstanding educational loans secured on or after 1 October 1975, in accordance with USC Title 10, Section 16303. These loans must have been for education regarding a basic professional qualifying degree (post baccalaureate), or graduate educatioin resulting in a Masters of Divinity Degree or equivalent. All degrees must be obtained from an accredited theological seminary as listed in the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) handbook and/or an accredited institution listed within a National Faith-Related Accrediting Organization in the CHEA Recognized Organizations' Directory.
- Individuals enrolled in the Chaplain Candidate Program are NOT eligible to participate in the CLRP.
- State and private loans are not eligible for repayment under the CLRP program
Healthcare Professionals Loan Repayment - up to $240,000
Army Medical Department (AMEDD) officers in the Medical and Dental Corps can receive the Healthcare Professionals Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) - up to $240,000 for certain specialties - by agreeing to a six-year service commitment with the Guard ($40,000 per year, with a $240,000 lifetime cap).
Physicians Assistants, Physical Therapist, Social Workers, and Clinical Psychologists may qualify for loan repayments up to $25,000 per year with a $75,000 lifetime cap.
The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data. Access the NSLDS at 1-800-4-FED-AID or www.nslds.ed.gov/npas